kansai-ben

Kansai-ben Update #5

10:37 PM

Whooaaa..throwback to early last year ;D I totally dropped the ball on these..

But not because I didn't want to do them, promise..! It's just getting harder and harder to think of things to teach. Kansai-ben is pervasive, it's everywhere and noticeable, but also so subtle. It's even hard for me to stop to speak normal Japanese D:

Anyway, I've saved up a couple from the past few months. Hopefully some things you haven't heard of before :)

言わんといて・言わないでおいて I(u)wantoite/I(u)wanaideoite - kansai-ben for 言わないでちょうだい(or くださいkudasai) Iwanaidechoudai. This phrase means 'don't say it.' Unfortunately, it's something I use a lot with Shota because he likes to just say things without thinking (I used to have the same problem..). But it's also used a lot in things like manzai (a comedy act consisting of two people). A small mention on pronounciation, it's said yuu-wan-toite instead of i-wan-toite, but I think that applies all round for this word, right? It kind of reminds me of funiki and fuinki :P

Usage Example:
№1
A: Hey Alyse, have you gained weight?? 「おいありちゃん、ちょっと太ってきたんちゃう?」
B: Shota, don't say such things..!! 「もうしょうちゃんそんな言わんといて!!」

~っちゅうねん ~cchuunen - kansai ben for ~だというのだ da to iu no da or だといっているのだ da to itteiru no da. This phrase (I suppose, I'm actually not sure where this falls under grammar :x), is used to talk about something you've said. It's quite a nice companion to the above phrase for 'don't say it' since it uses the same verb, 言う iu 'to say.'

Usage Examples:
№1
A: I told you not to eat my cookies!! 「なぁうちのクッキーを食べなっちゅうてたやろ!」
B: Ah sorry, I forgot... 「あ。。ごめん。忘れちゃった。。」

こっち来い・こっちきい Kocchi koi/kocchi kii - kansai-ben for ここに来てくださいkoko ni kite kudasai. A pretty easy phrase, no word. The words used are 'here' and the verb 'to come' so when put together, it means come here. And from this, you would also be able to infer than こっちkocchi is kansai-ben for ここkoko which means 'here.' How bout that, a two for one :)

Usage Example:
№1
A: Hey, come here for a sec. 「おい、ちょっとこっち来いや」

~せん(でいい)sen(de ii) is kansai-ben for ~しない(くてもいい)shinai (kutemo ii) which is used when you want to tell someone not to do something, or that they need not do something. せんsen is often used in kansai-ben in replace of しないshinai both of which mean 'not do.' I think this is one instance where an intermediate level of Japanese would be necessary to really understand how to use it, but hopefully the examples will help too :)

Usage Example:
№1
A: Should I move this over there?? 「これをあっちにおいたらいいの?」
B: No no, (you) don't (need to). 「いやいや、せんでいいや。」

№2 (past tense)
A: Hey, did you open my juice?? 「おい、うちのジュース開けたん??」
B: Nope, I didn't. 「いや、せへんかったよ」。

As always, when speaking dialects, you have to keep in mind that certain ways of speaking are not accepted in certain situations, and while it is still possible to speak kansai-ben while observing this, it's very subtle and I haven't done much to highlight the difference. Basically, what I'm saying (typing) is leave your practice of kansai-ben for people you know already, don't walk up to strangers screaming, "OI OBAHAN" because that's rude. I would not want someone rolling up on me like "'EY YO HOMIE WUT UP" though it has happened a couple times in Japan :/

Take care!♪

You Might Also Like

No comments: