kansai-ben

Kansai-ben Update #3

4:45 PM

Hello! Here's another update of some words I've been gathering from watching Gaki no Tsukai, which is a very popular variety show featuring 5 comedians from kansai (downtown, cocorico, and Hosei Yamazaki). An excellent resource for anyone looking to brush up on their kansai-ben and have a great time doing it.

Anyway! Today's words are chau ちゃう, annen あんねん, seyakara せやから. This time I asked one of my co-workers about the meanings of all three so that I hopefully won't have any problems explaining it or creating examples (pffft). If you would like something clarified though, comment or e-mail ASAP so I can ask her when I see her again tomorrow(●´-`●).

 ちゃう Chau - kansai-ben for ちがう・ちがいます (chigau/chigaimasu)
Chigau in it's literal translation means to differ, to vary, to not be in the usual condition, to not match the correct, or to be different from promised (in that instance, it would be machigau instead of chigau).  When defined in a Japanese dictionary, it also means wrong. When I hear it used in daily conversation, it's often used in place of ie or iya, which means no (and in those situations, I think no would suit just as well as chigau). For example, in my classes, where we have basic questions that include things like name, where you live, birthdays, et cetera, I usually make something up just to keep the children interested. In these instances, the children will quickly shout "CHAU! OMAE AHO KA!?" and laugh continuously until the next question starts. Aren't they angels??

Usage Exmaples:
№1
A: My name is Minnie Mouse! Hello!" 「わたしのなまえはミニちゃんです!こんにちは!」
(Watashi no namae wa Minnie-chan desu! Konnichiwa!)
B: Wrong! Are you stupid?!" 「ちゃうちゃう!おまえあほか?!」
(Chau chau! Omae aho ka?!)

№2
A: You wanted these blue shoes right? 「おまえこのあおくつほしかったやろ?」
(Omae kono kutu hoshikatta yaro?)
B: No! I wanted the pink ones! Are you stupid?!" 「ちゃうわ!ピンクのやつほしかったやん!おまえあほか?!」 (Chau wa! Pinku no yatu hoshikattanyan! Omae aho ka?!)

Of course, you don't usually need the "omae aho ka" at the end, but it does add a little colour to the conversation~(´ー`~)

あんねん Annen - Kansai-ben for ある・あります (aru/arimasu)
I think this is pretty simple. Annen means aru which in English means to have. When used in the question form, I usually hear aru, but the reply is annen. I haven't heard annen used as a question, but I can't completely rule it out and say it's never used. I'll ask my co-worker tomorrow!(;´▽`)y-~~ 
Kansai-ben speakers will also use "aru yan" instead of annen.

Usage Examples:
A: Do you want another? 「もういっこいる?」
B: I have one. 「あんねん。」


せやから Seyakara - Kansai-ben for だから・ですから (dakara)
Dakara is the Japanese conjunction for so or therefore. I don't hear seyakara too often, I think a lot of kansai people probably use dakara just as often, if not more so. But it does pop up on Gaki no Tsukai!( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

Usage Examples:
A: You really don't need one?? 「ホンマにいらんの?」 (Honma ni iran no?)
B: So I told you early not to bring it! 「せやからさき言ったやろ?持ってこなくてもいいやん」 (Seyakara saki itta (pronounced yutta) yaro? Mottekonakutemo ii yan!)


I'm a little unsure about the usages for seyakara, so I'll be double-checking that with my co-worker tomorrow. Hope you enjoyed this and found something useful! I should be posting about the museum.. soooon..ヽ(=´Д`=)ノ

You Might Also Like

No comments: